Wonder ways for a flat tummy
It takes more than just basic crunches and crash dieting to carve a drool worthy, flat stomach. Explains fitness trainer, Deanne Pandey, “Ab exercises + cardio exercises + right diet – this is the most effective formula to achieve well-toned abdominal muscles.
“An ideal diet and workout for every individual depends upon his/her weight loss requirement, body type and body shape,” suggests Pandey.
Here are a set of workout and physical activities, which when combined with an ideal eating plan and cardio workouts can assure you of the killer abs that you always dreamt of.
1. NAUKASANA- Method: Lie flat on the ground, with your back on the floor. Raise your upper body and legs to an angle of 30 degrees and hold the posture for 30-40 seconds, then relax. Repeat this asana for 10 times to begin with, graduating to 30 times. Breathe normally all through the work out.
“Holding onto the posture tightens and contracts your upper and lower abs while repeating the movement tones them up,” tells yoga expert Usha Chegappa of Bharat Thakur’s Artistic Yoga.
2. USHTRASANA: Method: Stand on your knees, with heels facing upwards. Arch your back, placing your hands on your knees one by one. Hold your head behind pushing your belly outwards. Hold this posture for 30 seconds and repeat 30 times.
“During naukasana, the ab muscles contract building up tension in the area, while ushtrasana releases the tension by giving your tummy a good stretch. It is important to practice ushtrasana after naukasana to save one’s back from injury,” explains Usha.
3. BASIC CRUNCH: Method: Lie on the floor with your legs off the floor in a right angle. Keep your shoulders just above the floor. Breathe in and bring your knees in towards your chest, while lifting your upper body to an angle of 30 degrees and breathe out while you relax. Repeat this exercise 15-20 times to begin with.
“Don’t arch your back. The crunches will help you contract your abdomninal muscles giving them an effective workout,” suggests Deanne.
4. BRIDGING: Method: Lie flat on the floor with your hands resting by your sides, feet flat on the floor, shoulder width apart and knees bent. Now, contract your abdominals, lower back and gluts and slowly lift your midsection to form a bridge from your knees, through your hips to your shoulders. Hold this position for a few seconds, and then slowly lower. Fitness expert Kiran Swahney suggests, “Avoid this exercise in case you are suffering from lower back problems.”
5. LYING TORSO TWISTS: Method: Lie on the floor with knees pulled over your chest. Place a ball between your knees and stretch arms to the sides like an airplane, palms facing up. Contract your abs and twist your hips to the right, bringing knees towards the floor Don’t touch the floor, but use your abs to bring your knees back to the start and go to the other side.
“Make sure your shoulders lie flat on the floor and keep breathing normally,” advises Kiran.
6. CYCLING: Method: Lie on the floor and raise your legs. Make slow pedaling motions with both your legs alternatively. Keep breathing normally. Touch your left elbow to your right knee, then your right elbow to your left knee.
7. SIDE PLANK: Method: Lie down on your side with elbows supporting your body above the ground. Now lift your body sideways. This will make you feel the stretch on your oblique muscles giving them a good workout. 2-3 sets of 15-20 movements are ideal.
“Make sure your body is in one line without any bends and arches. If indulging in a strenuous workout is on your mind, hold in the position and pulsate,” adds Deanne.
8. DANCING WONDERS: “Stomach muscles are core muscles involved in any kind of dancing. A toned stomach accentuates your moves, while dance movements make your stomach sexy. It’s a co-related process,” says dance instructor, Nanda Kundu.–Agencies